She didn't really have an appetite the next day either and after almost all day of not getting sick, she got sick again later that day. She just wasn't herself and we were starting to get concerned that she was going to get dehydrated. Just when we thought she was doing better, Paul got sick Thursday morning and Ashley still wouldn't drink much of anything but water. Paul took her to the doctor while I was at work. Poor Paul and Ashley both got sick at the pediatrician's office. Our pediatrician said that we needed to take her to the ER and get her on an IV as soon as possible. Since Paul was so sick, I came home from work right away and rushed her to the Children's ER. The nurses there were so awesome, but I was so scared for Ashley. I had never seen her so sick in my entire life. She was so lethargic and limp. The poor thing had no energy. Normally, she can run around the house with a 102 degree fever and act completely normal, so this really had us scared. She was so brave as she was getting her IV and they had to test her blood two times to make sure her electrolytes were up and that she was getting enough sugar. They wouldn't let us go home unless she started taking some fluids by mouth. After LOTS and I mean LOTS of coaxing, she finally started eating an ice pop. Then she wanted another ice pop and another.... The nurses were so excited to see her turn around like that. After over 4 hours and even though her levels were still kind of low, they let us go home. Even on the way out of the ER, she said to one of the nurses "I will back again when I am sick." I was so proud of her for acknowledging that the nurses helped her feel better when she was sick. However, I only hope that we never have to go back to the ER.
Once we got home, she was still kind of lethargic, but after a good nap and some Gatorade administered by a syringe (she wouldn't drink any on her own), she popped up when one of her favorite shows came on TV (Wow, Wow, Wubzy). From then on, her demeanor started changing and she started eating some crackers and had another ice pop. At that point, Paul was starting to feel better as well, so things were looking up.
The next morning her pediatrician wanted to see her again for a follow up appointment. Just when I was about to go wake her up to go to the appointment, I heard her door slam and the pitter patter of little feet running across the floor. I sang my praises to Jesus and was so grateful that my baby was back. She was so great at her follow up appointment as well. She sang in the waiting room, and asked for crackers to eat! I was so excited. The only issue her doctor had was that she found a "wisp" of an ear infection the day before, but was more concerned with her getting the fluids in her body at that point. She checked her ears again and for sure an ear infection had developed. We had to wait to start the antibiotics until she had a full day of food and fluids.
After dropping her off back home, I did a little cleaning (our house was a wreck) and headed to my OB appointment to check on me and the baby. All is going well and we are right on track. I figured even though I was exhausted, I might as well head to work to get some things done. Plus it gave me a chance to be out of the germs for a bit. On my way home I picked up some flowers and a card for Paul and Ashley, and I also got her the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie for being so brave in the hospital. She was so excited! She said "this is the best day ever!" I second that!
Over the weekend she did great! Paul was better too and we all were back at work/daycare on Monday. I was very grateful that I was spared, but if it wasn't for Paul taking on the majority of the caregiving, it would've been me. He is quite the Daddy and I am so lucky. Here's hoping we can get through the rest of this cold/flu season as healthy as can be!
On a side note: We were not the only family hit by this awful illness. Almost all the kids at Ashley's daycare, including Judi and her family, were sick with the stomach bug. Judi had to close the daycare for two days.
Us at the hospital right after she got the IV. My poor baby.
Finally sleeping and letting the fluids do their job. She is so beautiful.
Feeling better! I finally got her to eat an ice pop! They had a little portable DVD player in the room and she was watching "Barbie: Swan Lake". My brave little girl!



oh no Sarah! Glad everything turned out okay!
ReplyDeleteI'm so so glad Ashley's back to normal! You earned a new mommy patch!
ReplyDelete