Sunday, April 17, 2016

When I Grow Up

Corey had a dentist appointment last week. He wasn't nervous and couldn't stop thinking about getting a new toothbrush, toothpaste and a toy from the treasure box. I also had my appointment at the same time, so I wasn't able to be in the room with him when he had the teeth cleaning. However, once I came back to his room after I was finished, the hygienist was finishing up and she said "Your little boy is so well behaved. I asked him some questions about his family and he was so excited to tell me how old everyone was...especially him, since he just turned 6." :) She went on to say, "and I also asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, and he told me that he wants to be a Daddy just like his Daddy."  She continued saying that "he said he loves his Daddy and he likes when he helps him build Legos."  My heart just about melted and I was so proud of Corey.  I couldn't wait to tell Paul when we got home.  Kids his age have dreams of being super heros, or astronauts, or pilots, etc.  But the simplicity and depth of his response is bigger and better than any of those dreams. The job that will make the biggest impact is being a father. It was hard for me to not burst into tears, but I just held and squeezed and kissed the heck out of him.

It just goes to show how awesome of a Dad Paul is to our kids. They both love and adore him. We are not perfect parents in the least, but moments like that help to remind us that we are on the right path and the messages of love, patience, and understanding are being heard by our kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment