Thursday, January 12, 2017

January 11th - Jury Duty and 9/11 Exhibit

I was scheduled for Jury Duty today and while it is super boring to sit in the Central Jury Room all day waiting to see if my name was going to be on the next panel, I decided to look at the bright side.  I was able to catch up on some reading, I completed my goal list for the year and started doing some planning, and I was able to catch up writing some posts on my blog. During our hour and a half lunch break, I was able to eat two yummy slices of cheese pizza from a cute little Italian pizza shop, chat with an attorney who gave me some tips on the jury selection process, and stroll around downtown San Antonio near the Courthouse. I don't get to go downtown very often and I really enjoyed spending some time there without the hustle of parking, dragging kids around and schedules. It was just me and my thoughts with an hour to kill.


The Bexar County Courthouse

The street businesses are new, but I like to look at the buildings and architecture of the past. Check out that old rusted sign - it used to say Cactus Hotel. I tried to look up some history of it online, but couldn't find anything. 

The Kallison's Western Wear Cowboy has been watching over shoppers since at least 1940
(they are out of business now but according to the sign they started back in 1899)
As I was walking, I saw a large sign advertising a local 9/11 Exhibit called Ground Zero 360.


The exhibit contained artifacts from the attacks in recognition of the 15th anniversary.  I noticed that it was actually located in the building across the street from the courthouse and was free to the public. I still had about 30 minutes left in my break, so I decided to go. I knew it would be emotional for me but I felt that it was important to go and, in a way, pay my respects. I had gone to the site of Ground Zero in early 2002, but it was a different mindset then. I am a wife and mother now and and understand the pain from a different perspective 15 years later. Not to mention, my bright light baby girl was born on 9/11, just 5 years after that horrific day.  Her birth brings Paul and I thoughts of hope on that day and we choose to look towards the light when the anniversary comes around.  Well, I felt like I needed to face the darkness for a few moments and look at the photos and artifacts and remember the pain.  It changed all of us after all.

A flag from NYPD's 41st Precinct that flew at Ground Zero.

200,000 tons of steel collapsed from the Twin Towers. This was a support beam from one of the towers.

A slab of granite from the lobby of the North Tower. 

If you can make it out, there is a cross formed out of the steel.

Kevin O'Rourke - NYFD Rescue 2 - this was donated by his wife - he died in Tower 1 (North Tower)

If you can see the photo wall in the back. These are copies of some of the posters that were posted all around Ground Zero.
I remember seeing them posted on fences and buildings all along the street when I went to New York after the attacks.
Those faces are what upset me the most.

This steel fragment helped hold up the South Tower.
My cousin, Andrew Alameno, worked at Cantor Fitzergerald in the North Tower (Tower 1). I had never met Andrew (we are distant cousins) but I did meet his wife, Sally, and two children, Joe and Nina, a year or two after the attacks at a family reunion and during a Polar Plunge event that the family hosted to raise money for a high school scholarship in his name.  I was 21 during the attacks and wasn't married or have children of my own. I realize now that Andrew was only 37 years old when he perished during the attacks and his children were only 6 and 4. My Paul is 37. It brought it so close to home. My youngest is 6. I can't imagine having to tell Corey that his Daddy is gone. Our brains couldn't even process the horrific events that happened, let alone trying to tell that to a 6 year old.

The exhibit here in San Antonio began in October and concludes in February. I am so glad I went. I felt closer to my cousin as well as all the families affected. I found it interesting that I went on the 11th day of the month AND the following day (January 12th) would have been Andrew's 53rd birthday. Probably coincidence but maybe not. Below is a link to the Cantor Families website where those who have lost their families members on that day can pay tribute. I scrolled through some of the comments on Andrew's page and I noticed that Sally and her children continued to write on that page for 10 years following his death.  I was brought to tears as they shared memories like "Happy Birthday Daddy! I miss you. I scored a basket for you today." Or when their dog passes away, Joe writes " Daddy, Gracie died today. Nina thinks that you are petting her in heaven. We miss you."http://www.cantorfamilies.com/alameno-andrew/

When I went home later that day, and began the ritual of exercise, dinner and homework, I couldn't help but savor the routine and be grateful. The families left with an emptiness from that day will forever be in my heart and I will pray harder for peace for them tonight. As shown by the constant posts on Andrew's page, the pain never goes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment