Well, it's official. Our department is no longer at the UTSA Main Campus. Boohoo. Our office moved to a satellite campus at University Heights. We're only about a 10 minute drive from campus, but it still feels weird. The best part of working at a University was the fact that you didn't feel like you were at work. It was nice to be around the vibe of student life and be involved with all the events. It was nice to be able to take a stroll at anytime of day or sit in the Sombrilla (like a quad) and listen to the water fountain nearby. And be just a few steps away from any building on campus. NOW, we are in a office building - a new office building which is nice, but now it just feels "corporate." What a bummer. We're no longer a part of student life and can't just take a walk at lunch. Instead, if I wanted to take a walk, I'd have to make sure I didn't get run over since we're surrounded by parking lots and main highways! Paul and I can't commute together anymore and save money on gas. I drop Ashley off at daycare, and Paul picks up, so I miss a lot of the camaraderie of all the parents picking up their kids at the end of the day. I didn't realize how much I'd miss that. BUT, I guess to look at the bright side too - I'm closer to shopping centers and can run errands at lunch a lot quicker; I don't sneeze nearly as much as I used to because it is a new building and not covered in mold and allergens; I don't have to have money taken out of my account each month for a parking pass;I am a little closer to my house (not by much though); and I get to sit near a window! It's an adjustment for sure, but I will definitely miss life on campus...and my hubby! We're not 2 floors apart anymore. :o(
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
New Office
Well, it's official. Our department is no longer at the UTSA Main Campus. Boohoo. Our office moved to a satellite campus at University Heights. We're only about a 10 minute drive from campus, but it still feels weird. The best part of working at a University was the fact that you didn't feel like you were at work. It was nice to be around the vibe of student life and be involved with all the events. It was nice to be able to take a stroll at anytime of day or sit in the Sombrilla (like a quad) and listen to the water fountain nearby. And be just a few steps away from any building on campus. NOW, we are in a office building - a new office building which is nice, but now it just feels "corporate." What a bummer. We're no longer a part of student life and can't just take a walk at lunch. Instead, if I wanted to take a walk, I'd have to make sure I didn't get run over since we're surrounded by parking lots and main highways! Paul and I can't commute together anymore and save money on gas. I drop Ashley off at daycare, and Paul picks up, so I miss a lot of the camaraderie of all the parents picking up their kids at the end of the day. I didn't realize how much I'd miss that. BUT, I guess to look at the bright side too - I'm closer to shopping centers and can run errands at lunch a lot quicker; I don't sneeze nearly as much as I used to because it is a new building and not covered in mold and allergens; I don't have to have money taken out of my account each month for a parking pass;I am a little closer to my house (not by much though); and I get to sit near a window! It's an adjustment for sure, but I will definitely miss life on campus...and my hubby! We're not 2 floors apart anymore. :o(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment